Learn more about Canada 🍁 visa, Scholarships, Free Visa to Study Abroad. Apply Now by clicking on the link below
How to Apply For German Schengen Visa 2023 Requirements
Apply For German Schengen Visa
Steps to apply for German Schengen Visa in Canada 2023 requirement and application form for Canadian Citizens and residents.
Canadian citizens with a valid travel passport can travel to Germany and other countries of the Schengen Area for a maximum of 90 days without having to apply or obtain a Schengen visa.
Non-Canadian citizens, who wish to stay in Germany or transit through Germany may require a Schengen visa depending on their citizenship. To determine whether you need a visa, You can find the full list of nationals who are required to have a Schengen Visa on the official website to see if you are qualified.
Convention Refugee: Holders of a blue Canadian Travel Document (Convention of July 28th, 1951) do not need a visa for transit and/or short-term stay (e.g. for tourism or business purposes for up to 90 days) in Germany.
Below you can find more information on applying for a German visa from Canada.
Who can apply for a German Schengen Visa in Canada 2023?
All non-Canadian citizens who do need a visa to enter Germany and the Schengen area must hold a valid permanent resident card or valid multiple entry visa for Canada with three (3) months validity after returning from the Schengen area. If your Canadian visa has expired, please have it renewed before applying.
Only applications from residents of Canada (Permanent residents, persons holding a Canadian student visa or work permit) can be accepted. Applications from persons holding long-term visitor’s visas can only be accepted if they can prove that they were unable to apply in their home country.
You should apply for a German Schengen Visa in Canada 2022 from the Embassy of Germany in Canada if:
- Germany is the only Schengen country you plan on visiting
- Germany is your main destination (the country you will be staying the longest in)
- Germany is the first Schengen country you are visiting
In case you plan on staying in Germany for more than 90 days you must apply for a residency permit, not a Germany Schengen visa.
Important notice; if you are not a resident in Canada, you need to apply at the German Embassy in your resident country.
Germany Visa application documents and requirements for Canadian residents
The following documents are required in order to obtain a German visa in Canada:
- A valid passport or Travel document. Please make sure that:
- Your passport has been issued (not extended) within the previous 10 years,
- Your passport has 2 full blank pages, one for the visa stamp and an additional spare page,
- Your passport will be valid for at least three (3) months after the date you exit the Schengen Area.
- A valid permanent resident card or valid multiple entry visa for Canada must be presented.
- The Canada residence permit or visa should be valid for at least three months beyond the intended departure from the territory of the Schengen Member States.
- One application form (please see below) is filled out completely and signed by the applicant (please read the explanations carefully).
- One passport format photo that has a light background, is brightly colored, and shows full face features. The photo must be less than three months old and be glued to the application form. Applications with stapled photographs will be rejected.
- A cover letter that explains the purpose of the visit to Germany
- Proof of travel arrangements: Round trip flight reservations from Canada to Germany and back or other proof of intended transport and complete itinerary of your visit to Germany.
- Travel Health Insurance states that you are covered in case of a medical emergency and repatriation not just in
- Germany, but in the whole Schengen zone (minimum coverage of € 30.000 – approx. 50,000.00 CAD). Canadian residents can easily purchase travel insurance online from Europ Assistance, AXA-Schengen, or MondialCare. All these insurance companies are accepted by German Embassies and Consulates in Canada.
- Proof of accommodation in Germany:
- Evidence of a hotel booking or rental agreement, or
- Invitation from your German host (family member, friend) along with a copy of their passport or ID (Proof of sponsorship if dependent)
- Proof of financial subsistence:
- A recent statement of Canadian bank account for the last three months shows funds of at least 70CAD that are equivalent to 45€ per person per day spent in German, or
- Traveler’s cheques
- Invitation letter (not older than 4 weeks) from the business partner in Germany, confirming the business trip and schedule of your visit, including the name and full address of the contact person in Germany (Business Visa)
- Prepaid Xpresspost envelope (Canada Post only), Regional Standard to Ontario, or National Standard to all other provinces (shipment to a Canadian address only!)
- Visa fee (approximately 95.00 CAD)
You must take note that the Photocopies of the original documents should also be submitted and documents should not be more than one month old.
Where and how to apply for a German Schengen Visa in Canada 20223
The processing of an application for a Schengen Visa takes approximately two weeks. The German Consulate will generally accept visa applications three months before entry into Germany at the earliest. You have to submit your application in person at the Foreign Mission which is responsible for your consular district.
German consular services are available through its Consulate in Toronto, the Consulate General of Switzerland in Vancouver, and the Austrian Embassy in Ottawa.
All German Missions in Canada, require that you schedule an appointment in order to apply for a German visa. Appointments have to be booked via a free online appointment system. Except for rare instances, you have to submit your application in person.
Germany Visa Appointment Requirements for Canadian Residents
Applying for a Germany visa in Toronto
The German Consulate in Toronto only accepts visa applications from residents of Manitoba, Ontario (except residents of the National Capital Region of Ottawa or its counties (Lanark; Leeds and Grenville; Prescott and Russell; Renfrew; Stormont, Dundas, and Glengarry)).
Filing a visa application at the German consulate in Toronto
Please note that the German consulate in Toronto doesn’t allow walk-ins.
All applications must be submitted in person, by appointment only. Please click on this link to book a visa appointment with the German Consulate General in Toronto.
German Consulate General in Toronto
2 Bloor Street East, 25th Floor
Toronto, ON M4W 1A8
Telephone: (+1) (416) 925 2813
Fax: (+1) (416) 925 2818
Contact in consular matters
Applying for a Germany visa in Vancouver
Only visa applications for long-term stays must be submitted at the Consulate General in Toronto. Schengen (short-stay) visas can be obtained through the Consulate General of Switzerland in Vancouver.
The Swiss Consulate in Vancouver only accepts visa applications from residents of Alberta, British Columbia, Northwest Territories, Saskatchewan, and Yukon Territory.
Filing a visa application at Switzerland Consulate in Vancouver
Please note that the Swiss Consulate in Vancouver doesn’t allow walk-in.
All applications must be submitted in person, by appointment only. Kindly click on this link to book a visa appointment with the Swiss General Consulate in Vancouver.
Consulate General of Switzerland in Vancouver
World Trade Centre
790-999 Canada Place
Vancouver, BC V6C 3E1
Telephone: +1 604 684 2231
Fax: +1 604 684 28 06
Applying for a Germany visa in Ottawa
Schengen (short-stay) visas can be obtained through the Austrian Embassy in Ottawa.
The Embassy of Austria in Ottawa only accepts visa applications from residents of New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, and from the following Counties in Ontario: Ottawa Region, Prescott-Russell, Stormont, Dundas-Glengary, Renfrew, Lanark, Leeds, and Grenville as well as the Territory of Nunavut.
Filing a visa application at the Austrian Embassy in Ottawa
All applications must be submitted in person, by appointment only. Click on this link to obtain an appointment through the online appointment system.
Embassy of Austria in Ottawa
445 Wilbrod Street, Ottawa,
Ontario K1N 6M7
Telephone: +1 613 789 1444
Fax: +1 613 789 3431
National Visa Applicants
All Canadian Residents must apply at German Consulate General in Toronto.
German Schengen Visa 2023 in Canada Requirements & How to Apply
- Germany Schengen visa
- Schengen visa from Canada
- How to apply for Schengen visa from Canada
- German visa from Canada
- German visa appointment
- Germany visa application online
- German visa requirements
- Schengen visa application