Learn more about Canada 🍁 visa, Scholarships, Free Visa to Study Abroad. Apply Now by clicking on the link below
Canada Spouse Visa Sponsorship 2023/2024 How to Apply
Canada Canada Spouse Visa Sponsorship 2023: if you want to go to Canada or need to stay in Canada permanently then you need to learn how to submit an application to IRCC to obtain a permanent residence for your wife, husband, or common-law partner.
Spousal sponsorship is a key component of Canada’s immigration system.
Under its Immigration Levels Plan 2023-2024, Canada aims to welcome 80,000 new immigrants per year through its Spousal, Partner, and Children category. The vast majority of these immigrants will arrive as the spouses and partners of Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
The processing of spousal sponsorship applications has been delayed throughout the coronavirus pandemic, however, Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) should be able to get its processing standards back on track once COVID-19 has been contained.
Recommended: Canada VISA Sponsorship Application1
If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, here is information on how you can sponsor your loved one for immigration to Canada.
Overview of the Canada Spouse Visa Sponsorship 2023 sponsorship process
Citizens and permanent residents of Canada may sponsor their spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner to obtain permanent resident status.
IRCC must approve of the Canadian citizen or permanent resident (the “sponsor”) and the foreigner (the “sponsored person”). To receive approval, the sponsor and sponsored person must demonstrate to IRCC their relationship falls under the following categories (note that Canada recognizes same-s^x relationships):
- Common-law partner
- Conjugal partner
Who can sponsor
Canadian citizens and permanent residents may be eligible to sponsor if they meet these criteria:
- They are at least 18 years old.
- They are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, or they are registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act. Canadian citizens living abroad must demonstrate to IRCC they plan to live in Canada with their partner once their partner becomes a permanent resident. Permanent residents must be residing in Canada to be eligible to sponsor.
- They demonstrate they are not receiving social assistance unless they have a disability.
- They can provide for the financial needs of the sponsored person.
Who can be sponsored?
Any of the following three groups can be sponsored. All sponsored persons must be at least 18 years old:
- Canada marriage visa 2021: The spouse of the Canadian citizen or permanent resident needs to be legally married to the sponsor.
- Common-law partner: If the partner is not legally married to the sponsor, they must have been living with the sponsor for at least 12 consecutive months.
- Conjugal partner: If the partner is not legally married to the sponsor, but has been in a relationship with the sponsor for at least one year, resides outside of Canada, and is unable to marry the sponsor, IRCC may recognize the relationship as a conjugal partnership. Reasons, why marriage may not be possible, including cultural, religious, or legal reasons.
How to Apply for Canada Spouse Visa Sponsorship 2023
IRCC asks for two applications to be submitted together at the same time: the sponsorship application and permanent residence application.
- Find out if you are eligible to sponsor.
- Get IRCC’s application package.
- Pay necessary fees on IRCC’s website. Fees usually include processing fees, right of permanent residence fee, and biometrics fees.
- Mail the two applications together to IRCC.
Responsibilities after IRCC approves the application
Couples must fulfill certain responsibilities once IRCC approves their application:
- Sponsors are financially responsible for their loved one for at least three years.
- Sponsored persons are not allowed to sponsor another person for five years after they have been sponsored.
Canada Family Sponsorship 2023
This form is for sponsorship for a spouse, common-law partner, and dependent children. You are to complete the Canada parent and grandparents program form.
Parents and Grandparents Program (PGP) Sponsorship Assessment
In September 2023, IRCC will hold a lottery to invite up to 30,000 sponsors who submitted a PGP interest to sponsor form on its website in 2023. Please only use the tool below if you submitted an interest to sponsor form on IRCC’s website between noon EDT on October 13, 2023, and noon EST on November 3, 2023. If you did not submit an interest to sponsor form last year, you may wish to consider the Super Visa as an alternative so you can reunite with your parents and grandparents in Canada.
After we complete a free assessment for you, we will contact you with more information regarding your PGP 2023 eligibility.
Click here to Apply for Canada Parents and Grandparents Program